I love this dish so much that I make it nearly once a week. Recipe modified slightly from once of my favorite vegan websites, the minimalistbaker.com.
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 min
- Extra firm tofu, 12 oz
- Harvest Grains from Trader Joe’s or brown rice (for serving)
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (+1 Tbsp for cooking)
- 4 Tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (or juice of 1 lime)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- While preheating, wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top – like a cast-iron skillet – to press out excess moisture.
- Once oven is preheated, unwrap tofu and cut into small cubes. Arrange on the lined baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 28-30 minutes or until puffy, dried out, and slightly crispy on the edges. This step helps crisp up the tofu.
- While it’s baking, add 1 Tbsp sesame oil, tamari/soy sauce, maple syrup, almond butter, lime juice, and red pepper flake to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more almond butter for creaminess / nuttiness, tamari/soy sauce for saltiness, maple sauce for sweetness, or red pepper flakes for heat.
- If serving with Harvest Grains or rice, prepare at this time
- Add baked tofu to the almond butter-tamari sauce and let marinate for 5-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it marinates, the more intense the flavor, but 5-15 is plenty sufficient.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu, leaving most of the marinade behind (this will be added to the vegetables for flavor).
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides and slightly caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the skillet, add remaining 1 Tbsp sesame oil, green beans and peppers and 2-3 Tbsp of the marinade. Cover to steam for about 4-5 minutes or until green beans are slightly tender. Then remove lid, increase heat to medium high, and add remaining marinade and the tofu. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked Harvest Grains or rice.