This stuff is AMAZING and will fill any sweet and salty craving. From my fave cookbook, Cravings.
Time: 45 minutes (10 min prep)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a dry skillet, toast the coconut over medium low heat, stirring until lightly browned and fragrant (4-5 min). Remove shredded coconut and place on a plate to cool (if you leave it in the skillet it might burn).
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, 1 3/4 cups water, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a barely bubbling simmer, cover, and simmer until rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. There may be a bubbly layer of coconut cream on top of the cooked rice, so poke through it to make sure the rice is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork, re-cover the saucepan, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the toasted coconut.